- I have just completed my application form, now what?
- Will it cost anything?
- How can I get Continuing Education “CE” credits?
- How can I get the Certificate of Completion for the Mentorship program?
- How long do I have to commit to the program?
- I am matched up now what?
- Will my mentor find me a job?
- What are my responsibilities in the meetings?
- I’m enthusiastic about the program, but fear that I may not have much experience or much to say. I don’t want the experience to be a disappointment.
- I understand that the partnership lasts for six months, what if my partner and I wish to continue beyond that point?
- What if we don’t hit it off right away?
- What if, for some reason, I can’t be a mentee anymore?
- What if my mentor and I have bad chemistry?
The OCA will then carefully review your answers and will match candidates based on location, expertise and experience. We will then inform you of your mentee or mentor via email. The OCA does not guarantee you will be matched due to the varying factors.
There is no fee involved. Subject to OCA approval incidental expenses such as telephone costs will be covered by the OCA. Ask an OCA representative for more information.
The CCO has approved the OCA Mentorship Program as a means to obtain Continuing Education “CE” credits upon completion of the program. Participants are asked to maintain a log of their activities and documents throughout the program for administrative purposes. For further details on how to earn your CE credits please refer to the CCO Handbook.
A Certificate of Completion will be provided to participants upon concluding their six month mentoring period. This certificate recognizes mentees and mentors who have dedicated time to help build the chiropractic profession. In order to be awarded this certification, the participant must:
- Attend or view recording of the orientation mentorship meeting
- Meet a minimum of six hours (one hour each month for the continuous six month period)
- Complete and submit the following forms to the OCA:
- Mentor-Mentee Relationship Agreement
- Mid-Evaluation form
- Final Evaluation form
By participating in the OCA Mentorship Program, you are making a six month commitment with the aim of meeting a minimum of once every month.
This commitment is reflected in the Application Agreement which you are required to sign upon applying for the program. As participants in the program, you and your mentor are bound to conduct yourselves in a professional manner that entails mutual respect and confidentiality. The OCA offers the Mentorship Program as a volunteer, community-based initiative for chiropractors and assumes no responsibility in the case of interpersonal professional issues that may arise.
It is the mentee responsibility to initiate contact with your mentor. As the mentee, you must arrange a convenient appointment date/time, either in person, video conference, telephone or by email. Visit the I am signed up, now what page for further details.
No, the goal of the program is to gain advice from the experts and use the knowledge you have gained to further your career at your discretion. You are responsible for your own job search.
To keep up with the demanding schedules of our mentors, mentees are requested to setup the meetings. In addition, to ensure your goals are achieved, we recommend you setup the meetings and agenda. Visit the Meeting Resources page for templates on help get you started.
9. I’m enthusiastic about the program, but fear that I may not have much experience or much to say. I don’t want the experience to be a disappointment.
Most mentees feel that way. It would be a good to start thinking and discussing your goals with your mentors. Mentors are here to help guide you to your career path. Visit the Discussion topics page for ideas on what to discuss.
10. I understand that the partnership lasts for six months, what if my partner and I wish to continue beyond that point?
Partners who wish to continue may do so by informal arrangements.
It’s not easy to trust a stranger. It may take a while to build up trust. Visit our Communication tips page for helpful hints on how to communicate with each other.
Mentoring is a deep commitment. Please try to honor your commitment. Should it be absolutely necessary for you to withdraw from the program, please contact OCA staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure a smooth transition.
Any professional relationship has the potential for unresolved conflict. If you find that you are not a good match, please contact OCA staff at email@example.com immediately.